Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dad's memorial

Our family had another nice long drive from Utah to Lubbock, Texas for my Dad's memorial. While we were there we spent time with the Holland family and got my Dad's house cleared out. It was an emotionally exhaustive week that felt much more like a month, but we did it!

The memorial service at my Dad's church was nice. So many people spoke about the man my Dad was and helped clue us in to different sides of him some of us didn't know. One highlight for me came in the form of an Eagle Feather. An Indian chief who was a Vietnam Vet my Dad counseled gave my the feather with a beautifully written tribute to my Dad. It also stated that an Eagle feather was being released to the winds in my Dad's name as a tribute to him. He credits my Dad with saving him from suicide. The honor is reserved solely for warriors. A hawk feather was also released to take the tribes prayers for the family to the heavens. It was very moving.

After the church service there was a family luncheon and then a short gathering at the war memorial in Lubbock. My Dad helped get the memorial for the city and his friend Ed wanted to light a colored smoke grenade in Dad's honor there. It was really cool, as were all the Vets that spoke there!

We went to dinner as a family that evening, then found the coolest park to gather and play in. I'm am so glad Hil and Bea came up from San Antonio, my Uncle Virgil, Aunt Shay, their grandson Isiah came from Washington and that my Uncle Perry and Aunt Sharon, and cousin Molly and her family came from Oklahoma. They really helped us survive a miserable week and added some bright spots!

Ed


The smoke grenade
The Holland side of the family
Jon and I with our family. Koe is wrapped in a towel behind Jon because she fell in the lake!
My Uncles Virgil and Perry
Jared at the Park
Jacob
Kloe
Jacob
Sister play time!
Kloe and cousin Isiah
The Park
The 3 amigos!

No comments: